The Istrian Historical Society was founded on February 15, 2010 with two principal aims: to provide a networking platform for professional historians and history enthusiasts, and to support and advance research of Istrian history. The following institutions that either specialize in history or have professional historians as members, participated in the founding of the Society: Subdepartment of History of the Juraj Dobrila University of Pula, Center for Historical Research in Rovinj, State Archives in Pazin, Ivo Pilar Institute of Social Sciences Zagreb – Regional Center in Pula, Historical and Maritime Museum of Istria and the University Library of Pula. The list of founders also includes the employees of the aforementioned institutions, as well as the members of the Pula branch of the Institute for Historical Sciences of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Art in Rijeka.
To fulfill its main goal the Society focuses on the following objectives:
- support and advancement of research of Istrian history,
- providing a networking platform for professional and amateur historians and history enthusiasts, especially those of the younger generation,
- publishing of scientific and expert articles in printed and electronic format,
- organizing public lectures for the purpose of dissemination of expert knowledge of Istrian history,
- organizing scientific and expert conferences,
- organizing exhibitions and book presentations,
- preparing and administering projects related to research of Istrian history, availability and digitization of sources and literature,
- cooperating with educational institutions, and especially with primary and secondary teachers of history,
- popularizing history as a science.
The main project of the Istrian Historical Society is the history journal Histria, published annually. The journal publishes papers on Istrian and related themes from prehistory to modern times and provides an overview of historiography from and about Istria. Volume 1 was published in 2011.
Membership is open to individuals of all nationalities who actively research and publish papers or contributes in some other way to the research and dissemination of knowledge of Istrian history, and who accept the provisions laid out in the Statutes and regulations of the Society.
The Society’s contact details are the following: Istarsko povijesno društvo, I. Matetića Ronjgova 1, 52 100 Pula, Croatia. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.